Saturday, July 19, 2014

Review #7: Where Evil Dwells (1985) - Short film

I am almost lost for words. This won't be a terribly long or detailed post, because I'm still not really sure what to say about what I just witnessed. This short had no distinguishable plot from what I could tell, though perhaps there is good reason for that. Confused? Join the club.

Source: YouTube
Length: 29 minutes
Number of Ratings from IMDb: 8
Country of Origin: USA
Director: Tommy Turner [Where Evil Dwells] & David Wojnarowicz [Where Evil Dwells]


Where Evil Dwells is what is known as a transgression/no-wave movie, meaning it's rather low quality, and made underground. I won't pretend to be an expert, so if you so desire, you can read more here and here.

Basically, it's a very experimental, artsy style of film-making. I've never been a fan of the more avant-garde type films. Movies like Antichrist (2009) and Eraserhead (1977) annoyed me to no end. The problem is simple: I just don't get it. Art films, and really, even some of the more tame experimental films (such as select works by David Cronenberg) bother me. I don't much care for them, and I have a generally tedious time trying to get through them.

I say this to give you a little understanding of my issues with these types of films. I understand, or at least think I do, why art films would appeal to some directors and audiences, but it's beyond me how to enjoy them. How can one watch a 30-minute film without any semblance of a plot and be expected to enjoy it?

Part of my problem may be a misunderstanding of artistic films, though; maybe the audience is not meant to enjoy it. Maybe we're just meant to think about the concepts the film attempted to display. Whether or not that is accurate, however, doesn't make a difference to me. This film was still unenjoyable, and I couldn't imagine trying to watch it again, even in a group setting.

At first, I thought this film was going to be a short anthology of sorts, with a frame story of a dummy and ventriloquist telling them to us. I quickly learned that is not the case, however. What this film seems to be is a bunch of random vignettes that make no sense, have no context, and no conclusion. Below are some of the more interesting visuals of the film.












I wish I could give an actual summary, but if you watch this film, you'd know there's not really a story to be found. Perhaps at one point there was, though. Here is a quote from the Trivia page on IMDb:

The original footage was destroyed in a fire and the only footage that survived is this 28 minute preview that was put together for the Downtown New York Film Festival in 1985.
If this is accurate, then I am being to harsh on the film. If it is just the only surviving portions of a bigger work, then it is sort of sad that this is all that's left. A similar thing happened to the 1985 straight to video classic The New York Centerfold Massacre. Much of the footage was lost, and all we have now is an extremely butchered, barely watchable copy (and I say that because I've seen the print that exists).

Regardless, in the form that exists, this is not something to view unless you've an interest in or enjoy viewing art/no-wave/experimental films. I can sort of understand the appeal in the vaguest sense, but I won't pretend to ever fully comprehend it. This film was a mess as is, and I whole-heartily would not recommend it, despite the occasional passable special effect.

My rating: 1/10


The IMDb page for this short can be found here.


A Note:

I have began writing my first review over a full-length film. If all goes well, it should be posted within the next week.



Next time, on Beyond the Darkened Door:

An early 1990's werewolf short, seen by less than five people. See you all then.

No comments:

Post a Comment