Monday, July 14, 2014

Plans and Review Template Ideas

This is just going to be a quick blog over my intended plans and to speak a little bit about my idea for review templates.

I have a pretty open mind when it comes to the various movies I could review. Obviously, aside from the movie being on the relatively obscure side, anything else is pretty much a go. As I alluded to in my previous blog, I intend on reviewing a variety of different types of horror movies, including shorter films (between two minutes and 40 minutes, I'd guess), fan films (luckily, I have a high tolerance for lower quality), feature films, television movies, YouTube films (newer horror films that are found on YouTube, and sometimes don't even have an IMDb page) and perhaps even some horror series, though I am still sort of torn on that.

Basically, my options are endless, almost. With over 15,000 horror films released (I attempted to make a list using IMDb of all non-lost horror films, but I sort of stopped after reaching 8,600 or so), the possibilities are close to innumerable. If anyone reading has suggestions, by all means, let me know, and I can consider it.

I know I have a few films in mind (and in fact, I have a Microsoft Word Document listing over 300 different films I could potentially watch and review), and a few plans for future blogs, including a longer one over a number of different Friday the 13th fan films. I didn't realize there were so many, and I've not seen one yet, so it will be interesting to compare them to each other. There are about 20 pre-1960s films I have an interest in watching and reviewing also. Still, like I said, while I have a few plans in mind, I've no problem with other suggestions should you have them.

Now, I am often rather obsessive when it comes to how I organize horror films. As I stated before, I actually have a list of every single horror film I've seen so far (which I could potentially post in the future, if there is an interest), and more so, I always use the original title and year of a film as listed on the Internet Movie Database, which is basically my Bible. This means if a movie is from a foreign country, and the original title is not in English, I will be using that original title. Some friends in the past have referred to me as a film purist, but whether or not I qualify, I know not.

I will admit, I am not a seasoned review-writer. I've written hundreds of mini-reviews (at most, two paragraphs) for horror films before on the horror fan forum I am a member of, but never have I used screen shots from the films, or attempted a 500-word opinion piece on a movie. I'll be honest, I just don't know how good I'd be at it.

While it is possible I'll not be the best writer of reviews, it can't be denied I know my stuff. I've been researching and reading about horror films since I've been 13 or so. I've only seen 1,482 horror films, but I've read about many, many others. I'm not trying to sound cocky or self-centered - I am just stating that my knowledge of the horror genre is far more than the average horror fan. I've seen many obscure films that have gone under the radar, and I feel it's a duty to bring attention to a few of them.

Generally, I see myself reviewing new films to me (i.e. films I've not seen before), but at some point in time, I will point out some of the obscure films I've seen already that I feel should be sought out after.

Lastly, I will list a few things about each movie I watch and review, just because I feel such is important. One of these will be the source of the movie, most likely a website, such as YouTube or Putlocker, as I have precious few horror movies on DVD or VHS. Also, I'll be listing the length of the film or short, and also the amount of ratings it has on IMDb. I add this last portion for two reasons: First off, I think it is an okay indicator of how popular a film is. Secondly, it will be nice, in years to come, to refer back to the amount of viewers who've rated it, and see how the number has grown. Also, I will be linking to the IMDb page for each movie, providing there is a page available.

I will be rating each movie I see on a 10 point scale, using intervals of .5 if I deem necessary. Because I'm so used to it, from both high school and now college, my average rating is a 7/10 (which annoys, I know, some of my friends, who feel an average should be 5/10). Admittedly, most ratings below 4/10 are inclined to be arbitrary, as a movie rated 1.5/10 could easily be 3.5/10 if my mood is better. Still, I will use the aforementioned scale for all the movies I review.

I do apologize, as much of this was more technical information, but I wished to get it out of the way before proceeding onward. Luckily, at this point, I am probably the only reader, but once I get a little more attention, maybe this will come in useful later.

I am in the process of finishing off my first review at the moment, and at the latest, it will be posted in 24 hours, though most likely within the next four hours.

Hope this finds any potential read well.
- Michael


No comments:

Post a Comment