Thursday, July 31, 2014

Review #25: "Hard Rock Summer" - Friday the 13th: The Obsession (Episode 2)

Source: Vimeo
Length: 10 minutes
Air date: November 25th, 2011

While the first episode was average, this one really kicked up the pace as far as the characters go. Truth be told, I have no idea where the story's going, but we got some interesting new characters and memorable scenes in this episode, and I admit, I'm eager to discuss it.



We start off with something I just found so ludicrous (and I mean this in a good, goofy sort of way). An almost two-minute scene of Amy playing badminton with two other girls and a guy in the park, with an 80's song ("Hard Rock Summer" - Alice Cooper) in the background (cue memories from every single slasher film that came out in that glorious age). And let me say these young ladies are quite attractive.



If playing badminton wasn't enough (don't get me wrong, I like the sport, but I never thought it was overly popular), Amy doesn't even know these people. In fact, she doesn't even bother to ask their names until after their done playing. Still, I feel that at least one of these new characters is important, so I'll introduce them.

Carrie

Josh and Carrie (dating), and Stephanie
Carrie, John, and Stephanie are all from up north - they decided they needed a change of scenery, after Stephanie (Carrie's sister) broke up with her crazy ex-boyfriend. This leads to an extremely amusing short conversation in which Amy reveals she's a lesbian (clearly stating "Yes, I do eat vagina"). Amy says she's waiting for her roommate Todd, but he never makes it.

Instead, she begins chatting it up with Stephanie, and things get hot.



Learning that they got here only a day ago, Amy asks (in a very thinly disguised attempt to ask her out) Stephanie if she wants to go on a picnic or see the sights around town. Stephanie picks up on her potentially more-than-platonic friendship rather quickly. To quote 2 Pac, "Momma didn't raise no fool." 

Amy denies that she wants to get in her pants just yet, and Stephanie laughs it off, though just a bit uncomfortable. Her sister doesn't make it any better, because when Amy and Stephanie decide not to go swimming with her and Josh, she states, "Do I detect a little romance brewing?"


A bit later, apparently, it's possible, because before her picnic with Amy, she asks Carrie which shirt she should wear.


Ever the annoying sister, Carrie comments, in good nature, "You're not thinking of switching sides, are you? Getting a little lezbo action?" Stephanie denies this, and walks out of the room.

Meanwhile, Todd comes into Amy's room, asking how her time was. She replies it was fun, even though he wasn't there. When she's expecting some explanation for his absence, he literally replies he was doing "things and stuff." Annoyed with the evasiveness of his reply, and how he almost never meets up with her at the park when he says he would, she imagines Jason breaking his neck, in the one quick, horror scene of the episode.


She tells Todd about Stephanie, and comments that she had more of a chance with her than he does his mysterious girlfriend, prompting Todd to apologize once again, right before she dismisses him from her room.


Cuddling with her big-ass Friday the 13th fan book, the episode ends with a "To Be Continued."


Very little horror happened in this episode, but you know what? I liked it anyway. In fact, I liked it a lot more than the first episode. The actors and actresses are not great - there are some real awkward lines in this episode - but it's fun to see them try. The story is shaping up (into what, I'm unsure), and I'll just say it - the budding relationship between Amy and Stephanie is cute. I don't think for a second it will end well (Stephanie just came out of a bad relationship - makes sense why she'd decide not to go out with another guy, but she's not truly a lesbian), but in these forming scenes, it's cute. The actresses help it out a long way.

Also, on a related note, I think it's fantastic that lesbianism is being treated in a non-disrespectful way here. I have no intention of getting overly political in my reviews, but I am a huge proponent of LGBT rights. I think that fact that the characters in this series are treating an open lesbian just as well as they would anyone else is great. It's inspiring, because I don't see too much of that where I live.

This episode played out much more like a drama with romantic undertones than it did horror. I hope whole-heartily that things notch up in the next episode (since there are only five episodes left), but that said, I really liked this one. I care about these characters now (far more than I did after the last episode), and that goes a long way for this show to earn my respect and admiration. Very well done.

My rating: 8.5/10


IMDb page

- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment