Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Copyright Laws and Out-of-Print Movies (A Rant)

I just finished a film that I will begin a review on immediately after this is posted. The film is television movie Vampire, from 1979. A very solid film, I was having a good time until I saw this in the description of the YouTube video I was watching it from:
"Had to edit out 5 minutes starting at 10:35 because of visual copyright claim"
This film is out-of-print at the moment. It has had no DVD or Blu-Ray release, though you can find in on VHS, and you can buy illegal VHS rips on DVD if you know where to look. How can a company have a visual copyright claim on a film, yet not allow any way for an interested party to buy the film legally?

Personally, I have zero respect for copyright laws. I watch movies from various sources, as you may be able to tell. Dailymotion, YouTube, Vimeo, and others are some main ones I've used this far. For short films it's not generally a problem, because directors or actors often upload the movies themselves onto these various sites, making it completely legal. Fan films are much the same.

The problem arises with feature films, television movies, and straight-to-video films. Generally, when a movie is uploaded onto YouTube (either as a whole or in parts), it's illegal. It may not be illegal to watch the upload, but it is illegal to upload the film, as far as I can tell. I've watched many films on many sites, knowing full well they were uploaded on those sites illegally, because I don't give a damn.

If I had to legally watch every film I've seen, many of them would have had to be bought, or I would have had to wait for them to air edited on television (unless stations like TCM or IFC aired them), assuming such movies would ever be aired, I would be shit out of luck. I would have no way to legally watch all the horror films I've seen without buying them on various formats such as VHS or DVD (I don't buy Blu-Ray).

I would have to be rich. I would have to buy these movies without seeing them beforehand to test out whether or not I even want to buy them. It's utterly ridiculous.

You should not have to be rich to watch movies. I have no problem using sites like Putlocker or Sockshare, or any other like-site, to watch a movie. The only reason I do not link to the movies I review is because I don't have the time to go back every day to make sure each link is still up. I fully support uploading movies online if you are able, because I don't believe I need to spend a thousand dollars just to watch more obscure movies.

This is not to say I don't buy DVDs; I do. Generally, though, I like to watch a movie first before I buy it. Same with music (although I generally pirate music far more often then I buy it). I don't mess with torrenting movies, mainly because I don't know how, but if I have to torrent an extremely obscure movie to watch it, damn right I'm going to, and I support the right for others to do the same.

To have a copyright claim on an out-of-print movie (such is the case with 1979's Vampire) should be a crime. It's not logical whatsoever in any way.

In short, I do not respect copyright, and I do not believe people should have to be wealthy to sit back and enjoy obscure films. Screw copyright laws - I do not respect them, and I will not follow them. If you want to, that is your choice, but I don't, and will continue to ignore them in everything I do.

- Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment